A centerpiece is a quick and easy way to accessorize a space, create interest, and incorporate color. As shown in the image below, a bland space can truly be invigorated through a few amazing centerpieces. Below is my step-by-step guide to designing your own glowing centerpiece!
1. Map out a magnificent location! Now this could be a dining room table, an island in a kitchen, a coffee table in a living room, or any place with a central location, a strong surface for support, and that is in need of some pizazz.
2. Select a container. While there are endless options to choose from, transparent or translucent containers, like the ones shown below, will be the best bang for your buck. Not only will they allow more color and texture to shine through, they will also reflect light to provide yet another dimension. If placing something colorful inside the container, look for a clear or lightly colored container to showcase the colors. If color is going to extend through the top of the container (i.e. flowers on a stem), selecting a colored container to complement the items will provide more impact. Try to reuse existing pieces in your home so that your centerpiece is sustainable. For example, if you have a collection of old wine bottles or mis-matching vases, combine them to create a larger centerpiece.
3. Select the focal point for the centerpiece. Again, there are endless options for your focal point in the centerpiece, with anything from flowers to candles to ornaments to pebbles. Another option is to add a “grounding material” for the focal point, such as water, small pebbles, marbles, or even twigs to provide another element of interest. For example, candles floating in water in a tall glass vase can be a gorgeous and subtle solution. The centerpiece is also the perfect opportunity to tie together other accent colors in a space. If you have a bright color on a wall, or a patterned rug, or even just a few accent colors in a painting, pull out some of the key colors and use these as a starting point for your centerpiece.
4. Add lighting! And make it DRAMATIC! Adding candles or lighting on a dimmer can increase the intrigue of your centerpiece. Highlight your masterpiece with some accent lighting, it’s meant to be a point of interest so give it something to work with!
5. Finally, it’s time for the finishing touches. Add a little tinsel around the centerpiece if it’s Christmas time, or branches if it’s fall. Get creative, these finishing touches are not necessary but can help the centerpiece to become more integrated with the table or furniture piece.
Now you have some background knowledge to start creating your own masterpiece…I mean CENTERPIECE, SO start designing! AND…Stay tuned for more great tips!